House Legacy

House Legacy
We Live Music

Thursday 18 February 2016

DJ Interview With Kuchi

DJ Kuchi is a Botswana based DJ/Producer, who plays and produce house/electro, He has worked with DJ Fresh & Rj Benjamin, to name a few. He is also a director at Xplosion Entertainment, that host the biggest outdoor events in Botswana.


 
Where did the name Dj Kuchi come from?

As a baby growing up I had super cute cheeks, so everyone would be like Kuchi kuchi kuuuu, and my nanny like it , so it stuck!

When did you start your DJ career?

2001 as some who just played music, 2003 professionally, as in I started mixing on turntables.

Have you always wanted to be a DJ?

I’ve always had a huge passion for music! When I understood what dj’ing is about I was hooked!
You are considered as one of the best DJ’s in Botswana what does this mean to you
It’s a huge achievement, for one! Secondly it means my hard work has paid off :-) I’m truly humble by that :-)

What were some of the challenges you faced before blowing up?

I faced many challenges, one of the toughest was being acknowledged, my thing was to always play for the people, at the time my peers where like this guys doesn’t have a specify genre, and now look everyone’s playing commercial. Also the fact that I’m Indian made it that much harder for people to take serious. It would be cool, cause before I started my set, you’d get those sceptical people in the crowd, after my set they’d come great me.

What DJ system do you use?

CDJs and Mixer, I want to move to a controller setup, but sometimes feel I would be cheating. with the “Sync” feature.

How would you describe your sound?

I like to describe as Musical, I always make sure I have chord progressions that invoke certain emotions. I feel music should be musical.  I also include many electronic elements in my tracks.

As a producer what instruments or software’s do you use to produce music?

I can produce on anything, Reason, Fruityloops, Logic etc… but my software of choice is Cubase 7, I felt that with the other software’s I wouldn’t be able to get the sound that I wanted. Cubase is tough to learn, but I now love it!

In 2012 you were listed as one of the Top 100 Dj’s in Southern Africa in the SA DJ Mag 2011/2012 Poll. Is this something you have always been working on to achieve? How much of work did you have to put in this?

I was shocked when I heard the news! I really wasn’t expecting that at all, but as a person hungry for success, being acknowledged is a huge reward! Just shows that wherever you are if you make enough noise, you will be heard.

You did collaboration with RJ Benjamin from South Africa for you’re this latest album, how did the collaboration come about?

Well I met RJ in Botswana, and we started talking, noticed that we like similar things in terms of music, I sampled him a track that I sent to Dj Fresh, a few weeks back, Fresh loved it, so I decided that was the track I’m going to put everything into, sampled it to RJ and he was impressed, the rest is history as they say.


Local and internationally what artists would you like to work with in the future?

Ultimate goal would be to collaborate with any of the EDM heavy weights, SHM, Avicii, Alesso, but Axwell is the number for me! I’m really cool when it come to collaborations. Right now in South Africa, I like to work with Uhuru as they come in and taken over!

What was your first record you bought?

Kaskade – Its You Its Me, ah that’s still a tune!

Outside music what else do you do?

Doing a Degree it IT! currently finishing as I’d study then take a break over the years.

What was your most memorable experience in an African country outside Botswana?


The first time I played in JHB, was really nervous, ended up doing a good job! And also the world cup in SA period, South Africa was rocking!


What are some of the challenges you think are faced by African youth and how do you think these can be addressed?

I think that the opportunity is there but lack of resources limit the youth, many people are talented but don’t have access to the tools to achieve what they want.

If you were president for a day what if the first thing you would like to change?

I’d add another day to the weekend, lol! Seriously I’d find away to give people an opportunity to better their lives by creating employment , then eliminate corruption.

What advice would you give to up and coming DJs?

Firstly do it for the right reasons and you will achieve success you only dreamed of, I feel the masses can feel whether dj/artist is real. Also try and be as unique as possible, people always notice
something different from the norm. Lastly learn your trade understand what dj’ing is about.

Drawing from your own experience what would you say is the one personality attribute that has propelled you to achieve the things you have achieved in life?


The drive for success, hunger, you can achieve anything you want, it just depends on how much you want it, that’s what I believe.


How can your fans connect with you?


Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment